Girls Rock After School Rock Band / 1st - 6th grade
Our after school rock band is an 8-week program for girls in 1st-6th grade. Students attend instrument lessons, form a band, collaboratively write an original song, participate in workshops, and perform with their band at a live showcase.
WHO: Girls in 1st-6th grade. All musical experience levels are welcome and we provide all of the instruments. No prior musical experience is necessary. Girls 16+ can participate in our high school intern program and earn community service hours mentoring younger girls.
WHEN: We offer program on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:30-6:00pm
- Monday: Beginner 6-10 years old
- Tuesday: Beginner 6-10 years old
- Wednesday: Intermediate 9-13 years old
- Thursday: All Levels 10-15 See Amplify
- Tuesday : All Levels 10-15 See Pop Rock Choir
* Students are welcome to arrive between 3:30 and 4pm, depending on their school schedules.
WHERE: After School is currently offered at two different locations:
- Mon-Wed (Rock Band): Mackenzie Adult Building, Mackenzie Park – 3111 State Street, SB, CA enter on Las Positas
- Tuesday (Pop Rock Choir) and Thursday (Amplify): Santa Barbara Jr. High, Room 123 – 721 E. Cota Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93103
HOW: Fill out the After School Registration Form.
* Spring sessions begin Monday, April 7th. Registration is open now, and spots are filling up fast...
Full tuition is $299 per session. Financial aid is available.
- Instrument instruction: Students sign up to learn bass, drums, guitar, electric violin, DJing, or vocals. (Please note: anyone signing up to be a vocalist will also learn either guitar or bass.) We believe in giving the girls the opportunity to try lots of different instruments, and they attend one-hour lessons in groups of 5-10 students. We do offer one-hour-per-week small-group vocal lessons on Thursdays for girls who want to have that extra focus on singing. No musical experience is required and we provide instruments for everyone. (Students are welcome to bring their own guitars or basses if they'd like.)
- Band practice: Students form bands with their peers on the first day and work together to collaboratively write an original song. Each band works with a female mentor (their “band manager”) who provides guidance, encouragement, and technical support throughout the songwriting process.
- Workshops: Students attend workshops in place of instrument instruction for two weeks of the session. Workshops are geared toward self-expression and building confidence, while challenging gender stereotypes and addressing discrimination. Workshops are catered to each age group and may include Music Herstory, Zine- and Comic-Making, Screenprinting, Image & Identity, Healthy Relationships, Video-Making, Songwriting, How to Book a Show, Breakdancing, Self-Defense, Alternative Instruments, and more.
- Showcase: Each band will perform its original song at a live showcase at the end of the eight-week session, attended by friends, family, and adoring fans.