After School Rock Band
WHAT: After School Rock Band is a 12-week program just for us girls. Students choose either vocals, drums, guitar, bass, or keys and attend instrument lessons every week. Already play an instrument like violin or cello and want to join a band? No problem! Just bring your instrument and jump on board; our instructors can help you.
After forming a band on the first day, the girls collaboratively write an original song, participate in workshops, and perform with their band at a sold-out, live showcase right here in Santa Barbara.
At After School, we encourage girls to be confident in their own skin, to know they are enough in all that they do, and to follow their passions, whatever they may be. We recruit instructors from the world's leading music conservatories, and while they are of course extremely talented musicians and teachers, they are even more incredible human beings and mentors to our community's girls.
WHO: Girls ages 7-17. Any experience level and musical preference is welcome; we provide all instruments. No prior musical experience is necessary. Girls 16+ can participate in our high school intern program and earn community service hours mentoring our younger girls.
WHEN: We offer program on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:30–6:00pm. Winter Session begins Monday, January 25th, 2016.
- Monday : Beginners 7–9 years old (3:30-5:30)
- Tuesday: All Levels Rock Band Studio 10-12 years old (3:30-6)
- Tuesday: (Amplify Rock Band For Teens) : Teens 14–17 years old; must have at least one year of experience on chosen instrument (3:30-6)
- Wednesday: All Levels Rock Band Studio II 12–15 years old (3:30-6)
- Thursday: All Levels 11-14 years old (3:30-6)
- Private Band Coaching for youth and adults available from 6-7 pm M-Th. Inquire at 805-861-8128
* Students are welcome to arrive between 3:30 and 4:00 pm, depending on their school schedules.
* Girls participating in Rock Band Studio will have the opportunity to record their songs in a professional recording studio
WHERE: After School is currently offered at three different locations:
- Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday (After School Rock Band): Mackenzie Adult Building, Mackenzie Park – 3111 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93105 (enter on Las Positas)
- Tuesday (Amplify for Teens): Santa Barbara Jr. High, Room 123 – 721 E. Cota Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93103 (FREE for SBJH Students)
- Thursday: La Cumbre Jr. High, Room TBA - 255 Modoc Rd, Santa Barbara, CA 93101 (FREE for La Cumbre Jr. High Students)
HOW: Register via the button at the top of this page. Full tuition is $390 per 12-week session. Payments can be made monthly if needed. Financial aid is available: it is our mission that no girl is turned away.
Refund Policy: If you change your mind about attending After School for any reason, your full tuition minus $100 dollars is refundable up until one week (seven days) before program begins. After the deadline, we cannot offer a refund except for emergency situations.
FINAL PERFORMANCE: TBA As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization we rely on community support to be able to bring these amazing programs to your girls. It is for that reason that we ask an admission fee of $20/adult and $10/child under 12 years old to attend these shows. Your girls are of course, free. If you are not able to pay the admission fee please e-mail us ahead of time and we will be sure to work it out. Tickets can be purchased at the door or online. Online link TBA
After School Agenda
- Instrument Instruction: Students sign up to learn vocals, drums, guitar, bass, or keys. (Please note: anyone signing up to be a vocalist will also learn either guitar or bass.) We give the girls the opportunity to try lots of different instruments, and they attend one-hour lessons in groups of 5–10 students. We do offer one-hour, small-group instrument lessons every Thursday for girls who want to focus extra hard on mastering their instrument. No musical experience is required, and instruments are provided for everyone; however, students are welcome to bring their own guitars or basses if they'd like.
- Band Practice: Students form bands with peers on the first day and work together to collaboratively write an original song. Each band works with a female mentor (“band coach”) who provides guidance, encouragement, mentorship, and technical support throughout the songwriting process.
- Workshops: Students attend workshops in place of instrument instruction for two weeks of the program. Workshops are geared toward self-expression and building confidence, while challenging gender stereotypes and addressing discrimination. Workshops cater to each age group and may include Music Herstory, Zine- and Comic-Making, Screenprinting, Image & Identity, Financial Literacy, Healthy Relationships, Beatboxing, DIY Recording, Button-Making, Video-Making, Songwriting, How to Book a Show, Breakdancing, Self-Defense, Alternative Instruments, and more.
- Recording Studio: Each band will record its song at the end of the session in a professional recording studio in town.
- Showcase: Each band will perform its original song at a live showcase at the end of the 8-week session, attended by friends, family, and adoring fans.