Girls Rock SB day Camp 2018
INFO FOR PARENTS & FAQs
Girls Rock SB Camp is a unique summer program (offered for two weeks during the summer) where girls 6-15 years old choose a creative arts track and develop creative, technical and life skills while working together, taking fun and creative workshops, and developing tools for healthy self-esteem. Campers choose one creative track per week they are enrolled.
THE MUSIC TRACK
Campers choose to develop skills in one instrument: guitar, bass, drums, keys, or vocals. Bands will likely include 2 or more vocalists. In one week, girls form bands, write original songs, and perform live at a music venue in Santa Barbara. Morning sessions consist of small group instrument instruction and a workshop. Workshops at camp may include music history, songwriting, zine- and comic-making, screen printing, beat boxing, DIY recording, self-defense, alternative instruments, and more. Every day at lunch, different guest artists will take the outdoor stage to perform, talk about their work, and take questions from campers. After lunch, campers have plenty of time to jam, write, and rehearse their band’s songs.
THE PHOTOGRAPHY/FILM MAKING & MUSIC JOURNALISM TRACKS
While girls who enroll in this program share the campus with the rock camp, it is really a separate experience with separate classrooms, instructors, and workshops. Girls enrolled in this program have the amazing opportunity of being junior photographers and writers for the Santa Barbara Independent. Each week the girls produce work that is then released online with the publication. These girls also have the opportunity to interview our own blossoming bands and the lunchtime guest performers. Girls Rock SB provides all the equipment necessary to participate. We bring in an array of very talented photographers and writers from all over the country to teach. The photography and journalism program is open to girls ages 12–17.
DATES, TIMES, AND LOCATION
Session 1: Monday, July 30–Friday, August 3rd, 9:00am–4:00pm
Session 2: Monday, August 6th–Friday, August 10th, 9:00am–4:00pm
Location: Garden Street Academy | 2300 Garden Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93105
Showcase: Friday of camp in the Garden Street Academy Chapel at 3:30 pm. All campers are required to attend.
TUITION AND FINANCIAL AID
Tuition is $325 per camper for each week of camp. Limited financial aid is available to those in need. See the financial aid section of the application for further details. Tuition is not considered a donation, per IRS rules.
Any girl between the ages of 6–15 are encouraged to apply. Applicants will be informed of their instrument assignment the week prior to their session.
* Girls 16 + can apply to be summer interns. All interns form an intern band and participate in our showcase, or choose to be one of our jr. staff photographers or journalists. This is an excellent way for high school students to fulfill community service hours. No musical experience necessary.
Campers will be assigned one instrument to focus on for the week based on their indicated preferences on our application. Girls will find out which instrument they'll be mastering by the first day of camp. In the application, campers are asked to indicate their first and second choice of instrument out of vocals, drums, guitar, bass, or keys. Certain instruments are in greater demand than others, and we also have to factor in even distribution across ages so that bands can be formed. Not all campers can be assigned their first choice. Campers cannot change instruments once their instrument has been assigned.
All instruments will be provided. If a camper has their own guitar or bass, they may bring it, but Girls Rock SB does not accept liability for personal instruments. Campers may also bring their own labeled ukuleles and other small instruments.
Camp starts promptly at 9:00 am, Monday–Friday.
Extended Care Available: 7:45-9:00 AM ($50 ) , 4:00 - 5:30 PM ($50)
WHAT TO BRING
Besides comfortable and weather-appropriate clothing, we require you bring the following to camp in a single backpack:
- Notebook and a pen/pencil
- Sack lunch. We do not provide beverages or lunch/snacks, so please pack snacks, lunch, and plenty to drink. The rock n’ roll lifestyle needs to you keep your energy and hydration up up up!
- Full, reusable water bottle
- Ear plugs. We suggest bringing them in a cleaned‐out Altoids case with your name on it. It’s a good idea to invest in multiple pairs in case you lose one pair.
- Sunscreen. Even though we are indoors quite a bit, we try to get the girls outside as much as possible. Apply sunscreen before camp and bring the bottle with you to reapply.
- All personal items must be labeled, please!
The fruit of all our campers’ rocking labor will be an amazing showcase Friday afternoon after camp comes to an end. The showcase begins at 3:30 pm and usually ends in one hour. All campers are required to attend and should be available all day. Final showcase at Garden Street Academy Chapel, 2300 Garden Street.
Our staff are thoughtfully selected and screened through an online application, in-person interview, federal background check, and fingerprinting. They are an incredible bunch, and we hope you get to know some of them this summer. You can learn more about 2018 Summer Camp staff here.
If you change your mind about attending Summer Day Camp for any reason, your full tuition minus $100 dollars is refundable up until one month before program begins. After the deadline, we cannot offer a refund; however, we are more than happy to write you a tax deductible receipt.
Girls Rock SB does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national and/or ethnic origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, mental or physical ability, or gender identity/expression in the administration of any of its educational programs, admissions policies, financial aid, and other camp-related policies and programs, as well as volunteer- and employment-related policies and activities.
IS ROCK N ROLL THE ONLY KIND OF MUSIC YOU DO AT YOUR CAMP?
No! We call it “Rock Camp” because we think girls and women rock. Camp is a place for all kinds of music, from types that exist already—pop, metal, hip hop, punk rock, or even salsa—to any kind you want to invent.
DO I HAVE TO BRING MY OWN EQUIPMENT ? DO I HAVE TO HAVE PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE?
No. Girls Rock SB programs provide all musical instruments and equipment. You can bring your own if you want, but you don’t have to. We even have a Gear Loan Program, which allows you to borrow GRSB's instruments so that you can practice at home. And you don’t need any experience; all you need is a desire to rock out!
WHY ARE YOUR PROGRAMS JUST FOR GIRLS AND WOMEN?
A) Because it’s fun. B) Because girls and women should be HEARD, not just seen. C) Because it’s time for more girls and women to play instruments, write music, work the soundboard, direct music videos, DJ, run music companies, produce records, and do anything else they want to do in music. Or any other field, for that matter. D) Because making music makes you feel good about yourself. E) Because (insert your reason here).
Summer Camp FAQ:
- Can I enroll for more than one week? Yes! Campers can enroll in as many weeks of Camp as they wish.
- I’ve attended Summer Camp a couple times already. Can I sign up to be an intern? If you will be age 16-18 by July 1, and have at least two weeks of experience as an Amplify camper, you can apply for an unpaid internship. Interns work 20 hours a week and also participate in camp the additional hours as senior campers in leadership roles. The discounted rate for teen interns is $99 Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to see if interning at Amplify is a good fit for you.
- What do campers do at Girls Rock Day Camp? Girls Rock Day Camp is a unique summer program (offered for two weeks during the summer) where girls 7-15 years old choose a creative arts track and learn technical, creative, and communication skills individually and with groups. Each day, campers attend group and private lessons, fun and creative workshops, enjoy free time, and hang out with new and old friends.