After School Rock Band Guideline + Agenda
WHO: Girls ages 7-17. Any experience level and musical preference is welcome; we provide all instruments. No prior musical experience is necessary. Girls 16+ can participate in our high school intern program and earn community service hours mentoring our younger girls.
WHEN: We offer program on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday from 3:30–6:00pm. Winter Session begins Monday, January 25th, 2016.
- Monday : Beginners 6–8 years old (3:30-5:30)
- Tuesday: All Levels Rock Band Studio 9-11 years old (3:30-6)
- Tuesday: (Amplify Rock Band For Teens) : Teens 13–17 years old; must have at least 6 months of experience on chosen instrument (3:30-6)
- Wednesday: All Levels Rock Band Studio II 11–15 years old (3:30-6)
- Friday: Beginners 6–8 years old (3:30-5:30)
- Private Band Coaching for youth and adults available anytime M-Sun. Inquire at 805-861-8128
* Students are welcome to arrive between 3:30 and 4:00 pm, depending on their school schedules.
* Girls participating in Rock Band Studio will have the opportunity to record their songs in a professional recording studio
WHERE: After School is currently offered at two different locations:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday (After School Rock Band and Rock Band Studio): Mackenzie Adult Building, Mackenzie Park – 3111 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93105 (enter on Las Positas)
- Tuesday (Amplify for Teens): Santa Barbara Jr. High, Room 123 – 721 E. Cota Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93103 (FREE for SBJH Students)
HOW: Register via the button at the top of this page. Full tuition is $390 per 12-week session. Payments can be made monthly if needed. Financial aid is available: it is our mission that no girl is turned away.
Refund Policy: If you change your mind about attending After School for any reason, your full tuition minus $100 dollars is refundable up until one week (seven days) before program begins. After the deadline, we cannot offer a refund except for emergency situations.
FINAL PERFORMANCE: TBA As a 501(c)3 non-profit organization we rely on community support to be able to bring these amazing programs to your girls. It is for that reason that we ask an admission fee of $20/adult and $10/child under 12 years old to attend these shows. Your girls are of course, free. If you are not able to pay the admission fee please e-mail us ahead of time and we will be sure to work it out. Tickets can be purchased at the door or online. Online link TBA
After School Agenda
- Instrument Instruction: Students sign up to learn vocals, drums, guitar, bass, or keys. (Please note: anyone signing up to be a vocalist will also learn either guitar or bass.) We give the girls the opportunity to try lots of different instruments, and they attend one-hour lessons in groups of 2–6 students. We do offer one-hour, small-group instrument lessons every Thursday for girls who want to focus extra hard on mastering their instrument. No musical experience is required, and instruments are provided for everyone; however, students are welcome to bring their own guitars or basses if they'd like.
- Band Practice: Students form bands with peers on the first day and work together to collaboratively write an original song. Each band works with a female mentor (“band coach”) who provides guidance, encouragement, mentorship, and technical support throughout the songwriting process.
- Workshops: Students attend workshops in place of instrument instruction for two weeks of the program. Workshops are geared toward self-expression and building confidence, while challenging gender stereotypes and addressing discrimination. Workshops cater to each age group and may include Music Herstory, Zine- and Comic-Making, Screenprinting, Image & Identity, Financial Literacy, Healthy Relationships, Beatboxing, DIY Recording, Button-Making, Video-Making, Songwriting, How to Book a Show, Breakdancing, Self-Defense, Alternative Instruments, and more.
- Recording Studio: All Rock Band Studio classes will record their song at the end of the session in a professional recording studio in town.
- Showcase: Each band will perform its original song at a live showcase at the end of the 12-week session, attended by friends, family, and adoring fans.