We are so excited to announce our winner in best overall lyrics category for best original song, Ryann Schaffer. Check out her interview below and then grab some tickets to see her live at the Raise Her Voice Benefit Concert September 30th at the Lobero Theatre. We want to pack this theatre full and show all these amazing young women how much they are respected and supported by our community.
1. How long have you been writing music and how did you get started ? My name is Ryann Schaffer, I’m 13 years old. I’ve been writing music for as long as I can remember. I have been playing the piano for the last six years. I dabble in other instruments, but the piano is what I feel most comfortable creating music with.
2. What is your original song about ? What inspired you to write it? The song conveys the message of thinking outside the box rather than going along with the crowd. I was inspired by the concept of writing a song with an uplifting message while remaining improvisational and carefree.
3. Why do you think it's important for girls to know they are powerful? Having the knowledge that girls are powerful allows us to go through our life with confidence in everything we do.
4. If you had to explain the way you feel when you are playing music, what would that look like? I express myself through music. Nothing can compare to the moment when you find the right chord or the right rhyme. It is personal. There is nothing more rewarding than expressing oneself through a melody.
5. What do you want to be when you grow up? I would love to be a composer/music producer. Writing music for myself, for others—even for television and theater is my dream job.